Town Administrator James McGrail
2 Spring St.
Marion, MA 02738
For Immediate Release
Friday, July 19, 2019
Media Contact: Benjamin Paulin
Email: [email protected]
Town of Marion to Implement New Automated Curbside Trash/Recycling Pickup Program on Sept. 2
MARION — Town Administrator James McGrail is pleased to announce the upcoming implementation of the town’s new automated curbside residential trash and recycling pick up program through Waste Management, beginning on Sept. 2.
“We are excited to announce the details of the new trash and recycling pickup program with Waste Management,” Town Administrator McGrail said. “Waste Management has a very good reputation throughout the state and I am confident that they will do a great job in Marion. Please keep an eye out at the end of August for when your new trash and recycling carts will be delivered to your home.”
All homeowners will be included in the trash collection program. The town will host a public meeting at 6 p.m. on Aug. 14 at the Marion Town Music Hall to answer all questions about the new program. In addition, a brochure will be mailed out to residents and will include details of the town’s collection program along with a collection calendar.
New Recycling Collection Program
Beginning Monday, Aug. 26, the process of delivering new collection carts to residents will begin. It will take one week to complete the full delivery to all residents. The blue cart will be used for single stream recycling and the green cart will be used for household trash.
These carts are the property of the town and are to stay at the residence they are delivered to. Residents are asked not to use the carts until the week of Sept. 2, when the curbside pick service will begin.
If you do not receive your new carts by Aug. 31 or have any other questions regarding the new program, please contact Waste Management at 1-800-972-4545.
Trash will be collected every week and recycling will be collected every other week on your current collection days.
Single stream recycling will begin the week of Sept. 3 and will continue on alternating weeks after that. Your recycling collection week will be determined by the current schedule.
A comprehensive collection guide will be mailed to you the week prior to the carts being delivered to your home and will include and easy to read annual collection calendar.
Residents are urged to only put recyclable materials into their recycling bin. One non-recyclable item can ruin an entire batch of otherwise good materials, preventing the back from being recycled at all.
- Place only the acceptable recyclables pictured below in your blue recycling cart.
- Plastic bags are NOT acceptable in your recycling cart. Please empty all loose recyclables directly into your cart.
- All materials must be placed inside your cart for collection.
Please visit www.recycleoftenrecycleright.com for more information.
Tips for the Best Service
- Make sure your carts are at the curb by 7 a.m. on your collection day.
- Always keep the lid closed to keep rain, snow and animals out.
- Make sure all materials fit inside your cart with the lid closed.
- Only materials inside your cart will be collected. Large cardboard boxes must be broken down and placed inside the appropriate cart.
- Since automated collection requires clearance for the vehicle’s lifting mechanism, any cars parked at the curb should be at least 5 feet away from the carts. Carts should also be placed 3 feet from the curb with the arrows on the cart lids pointing towards the street.
- Use the handle provided to move the cart. Tilt the cart on its wheels to roll it. Remember that it’s easier to pull the cart uphill and push it downhill.
For further information, please call the Marion Town Administrator’s office at 508-748-3550.