Timothy J. Grenno, Fire Chief
56 Temple St.
Whitman, MA 02382
For Immediate Release
Wednesday, July 3, 2019
Contact: Benjamin Paulin
Email: [email protected]
Whitman Fire Department Responds after Resident Injured by Propane Tank Flash Fire
WHITMAN — Chief Timothy J. Grenno reports that a homeowner was seriously injured after a flash fire ignited while he was using a propane grill.
Firefighters responded to a residence on School Street at 6:45 p.m. for a report of a burn. Upon arrival, rescuers found a 35-year-old male suffering from first and seond degree burns.
The resident was taken by ambulance to a landing zone in town, where a medical helicopter was waiting to take him to a Boston hospital for treatment. His injuries are considered serious but not believed to be life-threatening.
A preliminary investigation of the incident indicates that the resident disconnected the propane tank from the grill while the grill was still operational, causing vapor that ignited, injuring the man.