Fire Chief Michael Sullivan
One Union St.
Wakefield, MA 01880
For Immediate Release
Wednesday, May 8, 2019
Contact: John Guilfoil
Email: [email protected]
Wakefield Fire Department Battles House Fire
WAKEFIELD — Chief Michael Sullivan reports that the Wakefield Fire Department saved a home this afternoon when fire broke out inside a wall.
Firefighters responded to 72 Outlook Road at 4:41 p.m. Wednesday after the homeowner called 911 to report smoke in the house.
Fire units under the command of Captain Thomas Purcell arrived within minutes to find a fire extending inside a concealed wall space on the exterior of the single family home. Crews quickly initiated an attack on the fire, using a chainsaw to open the outside wall on both sides of the chimney. A small fire was discovered in this concealed space, and it was quickly extinguished.
A wall and ceiling inside the living room in the area of the fireplace was also opened up to check for fire extension, but the fast actions by firefighters stopped the fire in its tracks and spared the home from sustaining serious damage. There was some smoke damage in the home, however.
No injuries were reported.
The fire was determined to have been caused by the homeowner, who had been using a propane torch to burn off vegetation was was growing around the exterior of the home.
The residents were allowed to return home tonight after the Wakefield Municipal Gas and Light Department determined it was safe to restore electrical service to the building.
Firefighters cleared the scene at 5:39 p.m. The Stoneham Fire Department provided station coverage during the incident.
Chief Sullivan praised the first responding firefighters for quickly knocking down the fire.
“Our Wakefield firefighters were able to quickly open up the exterior wall to locate and stop the fire, confining it to one area and saving the residence,” Chief Sullivan said.
The Wakefield Fire Department cautions residents against the unsafe burning of vegetation near a residence.