Canton Fire Department Extinguishes 2-Alarm House Fire on Shepard Way

Canton Fire Department
Chief Charles E. Doody
99 Revere St.
Canton, MA 02021

For Immediate Release

Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Contact: Benjamin Paulin
Phone: 781-428-3299
Email: [email protected]

Canton Fire Department Extinguishes 2-Alarm House Fire on Shepard Way

CANTON — Chief Charles E. Doody reports that the Canton Fire Department extinguished a 2-alarm house fire early Tuesday morning.

At approximately 1:20 a.m., the Canton Fire Department received a 911 call from a resident who reported smelling smoke in her home at 8 Shepard Way. While firefighters were en route, the woman called back to report that she could see smoke inside of the house.

The two adult occupants of the home were able to make it safely out of the house prior to the arrival of firefighters.

Upon arrival, firefighters saw heavy smoke coming from the rear of the home near the attached garage.

Because the fire had extended into the attic of the home, Chief Doody struck a second alarm and firefighters from Stoughton, Sharon, Norwood and Milton came to the scene to provide mutual aid. In addition, the Randolph and Westwood fire departments provided station coverage for Canton.

It took approximately 2 1/2 hours for the flames to be fully extinguished. After overhauling the scene and checking for hot spots, the scene was cleared around 7 a.m.

No injuries were reported in the incident.

The two residents will be displaced as a result of the fire. The home sustained significant fire, smoke and water damage and is uninhabitable at this time. The residents will be staying with family.

Chief Doody estimated that approximately $250,000 in damage was done to the home.

The initial investigation indicates that the fire started in a room in the rear of the garage and was likely caused by an electrical malfunction.

“I want to commend our firefighters and thank all of our neighboring departments who came to assist on this call,” Chief Doody said. “This fire was difficult to fully extinguish because once it got into the concealed spaces in the walls and the open space in the attic, it could have spread throughout the whole house. Thankfully we were able to get it knocked down and prevent the house from being a total loss.”