Superintendent Dr. Alan Cron
34 MacKinlay Way,
Rockland, MA 02370
For Immediate Release
Tuesday, March 19, 2019
Contact: John Guilfoil
Email: [email protected]
Band and Chorus Students Bring Broadway Hits to the Rockland High School Stage
All photos courtesy RHS Veritas Staff
ROCKLAND — Rockland High School’s band and chorus came together last week to produce a medley of musical theater hits at the annual Broadway Night.
On Thursday, March 14, the groups performed a variety of songs in front of an engaged audience of community members.
The band opened up the night with “And All That Jazz” from the musical “Chicago,” setting the stage for individual performances by chorus members of selections from several Broadway plays including “Les Miserables,” “Jekyll and Hyde” and “Finding Neverland.” The full chorus closed the show with a performance of “Who Lives Who Dies Who Tells Your Story” from “Hamilton.”
Band Director John Piazza introduced each of the soloists and provided some background about each of them, complimenting them all for their passion and commitment to their music. In many cases he also expressed his pride in their individual growth over their years performing at Rockland High.
“I’m so proud of all of my kids’ Broadway Night performances,” Chorus Director Victoria McComb said. “It was a wonderful night full of beautiful music!”
The program included group and solo performances of songs from a broad range of iconic Broadway shows, which were all met with boisterous applause by those in attendance:
- “And All that Jazz” from “Chicago” – RHS Band
- “Once Upon a Time” from ‘Brooklyn” – Kayla Mantell
- “Morning Person” from “Shrek the Musical” – senior Megan Diver
- “I Dreamed a Dream” from “Les Miserables” – junior Julia Yeadon
- “Journey to the Past” from “Anastasia” – Leah Drago
- “This is the Moment” from “Jekyll and Hyde” – junior Jordan Cunningham
- “What Baking Can Do” from “Waitress” – Emily Gaboriault
- “All that Matters” from “Finding Neverland” – Bonnie Gasdia
- “I Can Hear the Bells” from “Hairspray”- Olivia Janis
- “I’m Here” from “The Color Purple” – Kerin Dalton
- “Who Lives Who Dies Who Tells Your Story” from “Hamilton” – RHS Chorus
The next Rockland High Music Department performance will be the full musical, “Annie.” Shows will take place on Friday, April 5, at 7 p.m. and Saturday, April 6, at 1 p.m. Tickets are available at all Rockland schools, online at freshtix.com and at the door on the day of the performance.