Attleboro Fire Department Offers Safety Tips During National Poison Prevention Week

Attleboro Fire Department
Chief Scott T. Lachance
100 Union St.,
Attleboro, MA 02703

For Immediate Release

Tuesday, March 19, 2019

Contact: Benjamin Paulin
Phone: 781-428-3299
Email: [email protected]

Attleboro Fire Department Offers Safety Tips During National Poison Prevention Week

National Poison Prevention Week is March 17–23

ATTLEBORO — With National Poison Prevention Week ongoing, Chief Scott Lachance wishes to remind Attleboro residents of the dangers of unintentional poisonings for people of all ages.

According to the Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) and the American Association of Poison Control Centers (AAPCC), poison centers across the nation receive more than 2 million calls about potential poisonings every year. Young people are at a higher risk of unintentional poisoning, especially children under age six.

Over 90 percent of poison exposures occur in the home. The top five causes of poisoning are painkillers, household cleaning products, sedatives, hypnotics and antipsychotics medicine, cosmetics and personal care products and foreign objects.

“It is important to keep all things like liquid and powder chemicals in their original containers to prevent someone from mistaking them for something else,” Chief Lachance said. “Also considered storing your cleaning products and other chemicals in a high place or a locked cabinet to prevent children from getting a hold of them.”

Poisonings can be prevented. To keep your family safe, Chief Lachance recommends following safety tips provided by HRSA and AAPCC:

Preventing an Unintentional Poisoning:

  • Teach your family to never touch nor consume something if they don’t know what it is.
  • Store common harmful substances out of sight and out of reach of children. These substances may include over-the-counter and pharmaceutical medications, tobacco products, alcohol, cleaning supplies and other disinfectant chemicals, insect repellent and oils.
  • Keep all substances in their original, labeled containers.
  • Never mix chemical substances as they can create dangerous gases when mixed.
  • Always follow the label directions on over-the-counter and pharmaceutical medications. Never share prescription medication.
  • Safely dispose of prescription medications that are no longer needed.

If Someone Has Been Poisoned:

  • Immediately call 1-800-222-1222 to reach your local poison center. Follow the first-aid advice you receive from the poison center.
  • Remain calm. Not all medicines or chemical and household substances are poisonous. Poisonings can often be treated.
  • Get fresh air if the poison was inhaled. Take off clothing and rinse skin for 15 to 20 minutes if poison is on the skin. Rinse eyes for 15 to 20 minutes if poison is in the eyes.
  • Always call 911 if the person is unconscious or not breathing.

National Poison Prevention Week was established by Congress in 1961. It takes place during the third week of March each year and raises awareness to reduce unintentional poisonings and encourage poison prevention through community involvement.

For more information on poison prevention, visit the HRSA website or the AAPCC website, or contact the Attleboro Fire Department 508-222-2110.

 

###