Scott Allen, Chief of Police
153 Central St.
East Bridgewater, MA 02333
For Immediate Release
Friday, Nov. 30, 2018
Contact: Benjamin Paulin
Email: [email protected]
East Bridgewater Police Investigating Package Theft
EAST BRIDGEWATER — Chief Scott Allen reports that the East Bridgewater Police Department is investigating an incident where packages were stolen from a woman’s doorstep on Thursday.
At approximately 5 p.m. Thursday, a woman came to the police station to report that multiple packages were stolen off of her doorstep at her house that afternoon.
Three packages from UPS had been delivered to her home on Carey’s Landing at approximately 2 p.m. The packages were stolen between the time they were delivered and 4 p.m.
The stolen items included clothes and a set of headphones valued at a total of about $100.
Anyone who notices suspicious activity in their neighborhood or believes they may be a victim of package theft should call East Bridgewater Police at 508-378-7223.
Chief Allen would like to offer residents the following tips to avoid package thefts:
- Request notifications on your deliveries, via phone or email, to monitor your packages in transit and upon delivery.
- Always require a signature on your deliveries to ensure packages are never left unattended.
- Consider sending deliveries to an alternate location where someone will be able to receive them – whether that be a workplace, a neighbor or friend’s house, or a FedEx or UPS location.
- Schedule your delivery for a specific date and time that you’re expected to be home.
- Set up a vacation hold if you plan on traveling during the holidays so gifts won’t be left on the doorstep.
- Take into consideration using Amazon Lockers. The lockers are a secure, self-service kiosk where you can pick up Amazon.com packages at a time and place that is convenient for you.
- Be aware of “tailgating,” which refers to the people who follow delivery vehicles and steal the packages after they are dropped off.
- If you find your package has been stolen, call the police immediately.
- Never accept a surprise delivery where a payment is required, and never give out personal information when receiving a delivery that you purchased.
- Do not leave packages out in the open in your vehicle. Always lock your vehicle and store all the items out of sight. Bring in all items once you’ve arrived home — do not leave them in your car overnight.