Paul Januszewski, Fire Chief
North Haven, CT 06473
For Immediate Release
Wednesday, Nov. 14, 2018
Media Contact: John Guilfoil
Email: [email protected]
North Haven Fire Department Offers Holiday Cooking Safety Tips
NORTH HAVEN — With Thanksgiving festivities approaching next week, Chief Paul Januszewski and the North Haven Fire Department would like to provide essential safety tips to help residents enjoy the holiday.
“We want this time of year to be joyful for families as they celebrate the holidays, and that means residents must be conscious of safety precautions when cooking,” Chief Januszewski said. “Always be aware of your surroundings while in the kitchen, and if a fire does occur, immediately call 911.”
According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), cooking equipment is the leading cause of home fires and fire injuries each year.
To avoid tragedy this season, Chief Januszewski recommends that residents follow several safety tips outlined by the NFPA:
- Stay in the kitchen when boiling, frying, or broiling food.
- If you are simmering, baking, or roasting food, check it regularly, remain in the home while food is cooking, and use a timer to remind you that you are cooking.
- Move anything that can catch fire — pot holders, towels, paper or plastic bags — away from your stove top.
- In the event that a fire occurs on a stove top, put a lid on the burner and turn off the heat. Keep doors closed and the appliance off if a fire happens in an oven, broiler or microwave. Never throw water or use a fire extinguisher on a grease fire. Water will only spread the fire and the force of the extinguisher can splash flaming grease out of the pan.
- If your clothing catches fire, STOP, DROP and ROLL to put out the flames. Run cool water on burns or call 911 if the injury is serious.
- If the fire is not quickly snuffed out, leave the house and call 911.
- Keep children and pets three feet away from the stove to prevent burns.
- Make sure all smoke and carbon monoxide alarms are working prior to the holiday.
Additionally, the National Fire Protection Association discourages the use of turkey fryers, as the amount and high temperature of the oil used can cause serious burns and injuries and result in the destruction of property.
Residents who would like more information on holiday cooking safety should contact the North Haven Fire Department at 202-239-5321.