Dr. David Ryan, Superintendent
30 Linden Street
Exeter, NH 03833
For Immediate Release
Monday, Oct. 8, 2018
Media Contact: John Guilfoil
Email: [email protected]
Gov. Chris Sununu Visits Newfields Elementary School for Unveiling of New Vestibule, Sign
NEWFIELDS– Principal David Foster is pleased to announce that members of SAU 16 welcomed Gov. Chris Sununu last week for the unveiling of the Newfields Elementary School’s new vestibule and sign.
The vestibule was completed over the summer and works with the existing architecture of the building to create an added layer of security when entering the school.
A safety audit completed by the SAU 16 Safety Committee indicated that the biggest need for the Newfields Elementary School was to fortify the entrance of the building.
During the 2017-18 school year, SAU 16 applied for and secured resources from the state’s Public School Infrastructure Fund, which supports projects that address life and safety deficiencies at schools and improves security in schools.
The award funded 80 percent of the project’s cost (almost $76,000), with SAU 16 contributing the remaining 20 percent (nearly $19,000).
“On behalf of the entire SAU 16 community, we want to thank Gov. Sununu for visiting Newfields Elementary School and for making our new vestibule possible,” Principal Foster said. “This was a project that was imperative for the district to complete and now we can better ensure the safety and security of students, faculty and staff.”
During his visit on Oct. 4, Gov. Sununu also had the chance to view the school’s new sign, which was a gift to Newfields Elementary School from the 2018 fifth grade class.
The sign, which hangs near the entrance of the building, features colorful, handmade tiles that were created by the graduating fifth grade class. Prior to graduation, students worked with local Artist Robert Rossel in Epping, who spent a day at Newfields Elementary School helping students design the tiles. He then fired them over the summer at his business Symmetry Tile Works.