George D. Kramlinger, Fire Chief
12 School Street
Manchester by the Sea, MA 01944
For Immediate Release
Monday, July 16, 2018
Contact: John Guilfoil
Email: [email protected]
Manchester-by-the-Sea Fire Department Offers Grilling Safety Tips
MANCHESTER BY-THE-SEA — As residents spend time outside this summer, Chief George D. Kramlinger and the Manchester by-the-Sea Fire Department would like to provide residents with grilling safety tips to prevent injuries and fires.
According to the Massachusetts Department of Fire Services, fire departments in the state responded to 487 fires involving grills, hibachis and barbecues between 2012 and 2016. These fires caused 22 civilian injuries, three firefighter injuries and $4.5 million in property damage.
“Grill fires can easily get out of hand if users do not pay close attention and monitor where and what they’re cooking,” Chief Kramlinger said. “Familiarize yourself with the type of grill you have before using it, and make sure children and pets stay out of range at all times.”
In order to help prevent grilling fires and ensure residents remain safe while cooking outdoors, the Manchester-by-the-Sea Fire Department recommends the following tips provided by DFS:
- Propane and charcoal grills should only be used outdoors.
- Place grills away from the house, deck railings and out from under eaves of overhanging branches.
- Grills should only be used on first floor porches, decks, or patios if there is an outdoor stairway to the ground, or the porch is at ground level.
- Keep children and pets at least 3 feet away from the grilling area. Children should never play near grills or propane cylinders.
- Never leave a burning grill unattended.
Gas Grill Safety
- Make sure the lid of a gas grill is open when you light it. Propane can build up inside and when ignited, the lid may blow off.
- Check that all connections are tight before turning on the gas.
- Clean the grease trap every time you grill.
- Check the propane tank hose for potential leaks by applying a light soap and water solution to the hose using a brush or spray bottle. See if any bubbles appear around the hose. If no bubbles appear, the grill is safe to use.
- If you smell gas while cooking, turn the grill off and move away from it. Call 911 from a safe location. Do not move the grill.
- Store propane cylinders upright in an outdoor, shaded area. Cylinders should not be used, stored or transported where they can be exposed to high temperatures.
Charcoal Grill Safety
- Use only charcoal starter fluid. Never used gasoline or kerosene to start a fire in a grill and never add lighter fluid to burning briquettes or hot coals.
- Always use charcoal grills in a well-ventilated area. Charcoal briquettes emit carbon monoxide, which can be deadly.
- Properly dispose of grill ashes. Allow the coals to burn out completely and then cool for 48 hours before disposal. If you must dispose of ashes before they are completely cooled, thoroughly soak them in water before putting them in a metal container.