SAU No. 5
Superintendent James Morse
36 Coe Drive
Durham, NH 03824
For Immediate Release
Monday, April 16, 2018
Media Contact: John Guilfoil
Email: [email protected]
Oyster River Middle School Retains Spotlight School Status
DURHAM — Principal Jay Richard is pleased to announce that Oyster River Middle School has once again been recognized as one of 30 Spotlight Schools in New England.
The designation is awarded by the New England League of Middle Schools and acknowledges schools that are committed to effective instruction, collaboration and a solid understanding of students’ needs.
“We are extremely pleased and honored to have earned this designation from the New England League of Middle Schools,” Principal Richard said. “At ORMS we strive to provide our students with a variety of opportunities to learn and excel across the spectrum.”
As NELMS Spotlight School, Oyster River Middle School was recognized for the following:
- Each grade level features a collaborative community atmosphere.
- Students are encouraged to develop responsible practices with personal technology, and technology use is present not only in teacher driven instruction, but in student led activities.
- Daily planning time, team time and intervention time is part of the daily schedule in order to promote positive outcomes.
- Students are engaged in project-based learning and hands-on tasks.
- Expectations are clearly posted and positive messages of encouragement and motivation are visible throughout the school.
- Oyster River is a leader in competency-based instruction practices.
To continue improving, NELMS recommended that Oyster River Middle School add an additional guidance counselor and examine solutions to overcome instructional space limitations, structural inefficiencies and traffic flow during dismissal.