Timothy J. Grenno, Fire Chief
56 Temple St.
Whitman, MA 02382
For Immediate Release
Tuesday, Jan. 23, 2018
Contact: Benjamin Paulin
Email: [email protected]
Whitman Fire Department Extinguishes Chimney Fire at Home
WHITMAN — Chief Timothy J. Grenno reports that the Whitman Fire Department extinguished a chimney fire at a home Tuesday afternoon.
At approximately 4:44 p.m., Whitman firefighters responded to 21 Commercial St. for a report of a fire in a chimney.
Engines 242 and 243 and Ladder 246 responded to the scene, along with Chief Grenno. Upon arrival, there was an active fire showing from the chimney.
Firefighters extended a ladder to the roof and quickly extinguished the flames. The fire was contained to the chimney and the home was checked to make sure no flames had gone into the walls.
The residents all made it out safely and no one was injured.
The home sustained smoke damage and the chimney will need to be inspected prior to it being used again. The residents were not displaced as a result of the fire.
The fire was caused when the homeowner added wood to the fireplace and all of a sudden heard flames shooting out of the chimney. The chimney had never been cleaned before.
Chief Grenno would like to remind residents to have their chimneys cleaned and inspected once a year to avoid incidents like today’s fire.