Fred A. Mitchell Jr., Fire Chief
47 Central Street
Georgetown, MA 01833
For Immediate Release
Tuesday, Dec. 12, 2017
Contact: John Guilfoil
Email: [email protected]
Georgetown Fire Department Responds to Early Morning House Fire
GEORGETOWN — Chief Fred A. Mitchell Jr. reports that the Georgetown Fire Department extinguished a fire at a residence on Hampshire Lane early this morning.
At 5:34 a.m., Georgetown firefighters were dispatched to a home on Hampshire Lane for a report of smoke inside the residence. Upon arrival, firefighters observed that a fire was burning inside one of the home’s walls and worked quickly to extinguish the flames.
The Rowley, Groveland and Boxford Fire Departments responded to a call for mutual aid, and the West Newbury Fire Department stood by for station coverage during the incident. Firefighters extinguished the fire within 20 minutes of arriving on scene, but remained at the home until approximately 8 a.m. to ensure that there was no further danger.
The fire is believed to have extended into the wall from an exterior fireplace. The residents were home when the fire began and were alerted to it when their smoke detectors were activated.
No injuries were reported as a result of this incident.