*Joint Release* Raynham Police Arrest Man Following Pursuit that Began in Easton

*Joint Release* Raynham Police Arrest Man Following Pursuit that Began in Easton

RAYNHAM — Raynham Police Chief James Donovan and Easton Police Chief Gary Sullivan report that the Raynham Police Department arrested a man following a pursuit that began when a driver fled after an Easton Police officer attempted to conduct a motor vehicle stop.

ALEXANDER CRUZ,  AGE 24, OF TAUNTON was arrested and charged with:

  • Failure to Stop for a Police Officer (two counts)
  • Negligent Operation of a Motor Vehicle (two counts)
  • Operation of a Motor Vehicle With a Revoked License (two counts)
  • Assault and Battery With a Dangerous Weapon (four counts)
  • Marked Lanes Violation (two counts)
  • Speeding (two counts)
  • Red Light Violation
  • Leaving the Scene of a Motor Vehicle Accident Involving Property Damage (two counts)
  • Leaving the Scene of a Motor Vehicle Accident Involving Personal Injury (four counts)
  • Failure to Inspect a Motor Vehicle (two counts)

CRUZ also has three arrest warrants related to three separate incidents out of Taunton District Court.

At approximately 11:12 a.m., Easton Police attempted to stop a gray Nissan Maxima with an expired inspection sticker as it was traveling southbound near 379 Turnpike St. (Route 138). When the Easton officer exited his vehicle to speak with the driver, who was later identified as CRUZ, he drove away at a high rate of speed. The officer returned to his vehicle and again attempted to conduct a motor vehicle stop, but a pursuit ensued.

The Easton officer estimated that CRUZ reached speeds of 80 mph and drove into the breakdown lane to pass other vehicles. At that time, Easton Police abandoned the pursuit out of concern for the safety of others as well as their own, and notified Raynham Police that CRUZ was driving in the direction of their community.

Upon locating the vehicle, Raynham Police deployed a pair of tire deflation devices into the roadway. CRUZ drove over one of the devices and avoided the second, and a short time later struck at least two vehicles near the intersection of Route 138 and Britton Street.

Three occupants in one of the vehicles suffered injuries that are not believed to be life-threatening. 

A female passenger in CRUZ’s vehicle suffered serious injuries and was subsequently taken by medical helicopter to a Boston hospital.

CRUZ was taken into custody following the crash, and was then transported to an area hospital by ambulance with injuries that are not considered to be life-threatening and has since been released from the hospital.

He is scheduled to be arraigned Wednesday morning in Taunton District Court.

These are allegations. All suspects are considered innocent until proven guilty.