Fred A. Mitchell Jr., Fire Chief
47 Central Street
Georgetown, MA 01833
For Immediate Release
Tuesday, Nov. 21, 2017
Contact: John Guilfoil
Email: [email protected]
Overheating Machinery Blamed for Georgetown Fire Alarm Activation
GEORGETOWN – Chief Fred A. Mitchell Jr. reports that the Georgetown Fire Department responded early this morning to a commercial building in town after receiving a fire alarm activation.
Firefighters and Georgetown Police responded to Metal Tronics Inc., located at 400 East Main St. at 2:58 a.m. on Tuesday. Upon arrival, firefighters found the building unoccupied and began an investigation.
Officials soon discovered that there was a smoke condition in the warehouse area, and a working fire response was requested.
The investigation determined that a compressor in the warehouse had overheated, causing the smoke condition. The machinery was shut down, and the building was ventilated. No one was injured, and no damaged was caused to the building.
Fire units from Groveland, Rowley and Newbury provided mutual aid, while units from West Newbury and Haverhill provided station coverage for Georgetown.