Pepperell Police Arrest Student After Threat Made to High School Over Instagram

Retained by the Pepperell Police Department

Pepperell Police Department
David Scott, Chief of Police
59 Main St.
Pepperell, MA 01463

For Immediate Release

Wednesday, Aug. 30, 2017

Contact: John Guilfoil
Phone: 978-743-0004
Email: [email protected]

Pepperell Police Arrest Student After Threat Made to High School Over Instagram

PEPPERELL — Chief David Scott reports that the Pepperell Police Department arrested a student after he made a threat against North Middlesex Regional High School over Instagram last night.

SANJAY DALEY, 18, OF PEPPERELL was arrested and charged with Threats of Dangerous Items (a felony).

On Tuesday, Aug. 29, around 8:15 p.m., Pepperell Police received a report that a student at the high school posted a threat on Instagram, indicating he planned to harm others at the high school during their first day back.

North Middlesex Regional High School, located in Townsend, recently underwent a major new building project. Today is the first day students will be in the new high school.

Officers quickly learned the Instagram account belonged to DALEY and responded to his residence. Following an investigation, he was placed under arrest.

Chief Scott met with members of his command staff and the North Middlesex Regional School District administration late Tuesday night.

Out of an abundance of caution, Chief Scott contacted the Northeastern Massachusetts Law Enforcement Council’s School Threat Assessment Response System Team to assist with a controlled entry during the start of school this morning. Additional police officers were stationed at the school, and all people entering the building were required to pass through metal detectors.

“The safety of students, faculty and staff is our number one priority,” Chief Scott said. “We’re pleased to report that the controlled entry went well and that there is no danger to the community.”

DALEY was held overnight at the Pepperell Police Department pending his arraignment at Ayer District Court. The investigation remains open and ongoing.