North Reading Police Arrest Man on Multiple Charges Following Motor Vehicle Crash


North Reading Police Department
Chief Michael P. Murphy
150 Park St.
North Reading, MA 01864

For Immediate Release

Monday, July 17, 2017

Contact: John Guilfoil
Phone: 617-993-0003

North Reading Police Arrest Man on Multiple Charges Following Motor Vehicle Crash

NORTH READING — Chief Michael P. Murphy reports that the North Reading Police Department arrested a man over the weekend on numerous charges after he was involved in four separate motor vehicle crashes.

JOEL MANN, AGE 25, OF EAST BOSTON, is charged with the following:

  • Operating Under the Influence of Alcohol
  • Assault and Battery on a Public Employee
  • Negligent Operation of a Motor Vehicle
  • Disorderly Conduct
  • Speeding
  • Resisting Arrest
  • Leaving the Scene of an Accident

On Saturday, July 15, at approximately 9:35 p.m., the North Reading Police Department received a 911 call from a local establishment that MANN had recently left the building and appeared to be highly intoxicated. The caller was able to provide police with the license plate number of the vehicle that MANN was operating.

North Reading dispatch then began receiving multiple 911 calls reporting a vehicle operating at a high rate of speed. Callers also reported several collisions at the intersection of North and Main streets as well as the intersection of Park and Main streets.

North Reading Police responded to the intersection of Park and Main streets and observed a crash in the middle of the roadway on Main Street, which caused the road to be temporarily closed. One of the vehicles involved matched the plate number and description of MANN’S vehicle.

North Reading Police Officers and EMTs began rendering first aid to MANN, at which time he became combative, assaulting a North Reading Firefighter/Paramedic. MANN continued to be non-compliant, assaultive and verbally aggressive to first responders and police were forced to deploy their Taser weapons to subdue him.

MANN was subsequently placed under arrest without further incident and transported to Winchester Hospital for treatment for injuries that were believed to be non-life threating.

Two other people were also transported to the hospital with non-life threatening injuries as a result of the crashes.

MANN was discharged from the hospital and transferred to the North Reading Police Station on Sunday morning. He was released on $200 bail pending his arraignment at Woburn District Court.