Chief of Police
30 Mt Vernon St.
Winchester, MA 01890
For Immediate Release
Wednesday, Feb. 8, 2017
Contact: John Guilfoil
Email: [email protected]
Winchester Declares Snow Emergency
WINCHESTER — Chief Peter MacDonnell reports that the Town of Winchester has issued a snow emergency for the town starting tomorrow.
The snow emergency will be in effect from Thursday, Feb. 9 at 12 p.m. through 8 a.m. on Friday, Feb. 10.
The snow emergency declaration includes the following rules and regulations:
- All residents are advised not to travel during these hours if at all possible.
- All parked vehicles are to be removed from the public roads and onto private property to allow for snow removal.
- Any vehicle unable to park on private property can park at the Town Hall/Jenks Center parking lot (109 Skillings Road) or the Aberjona Drive parking lot (off of Waterfield Road and near Winchester Center train station) for the duration of the storm.
- Any vehicle not removed from the roadway will be subject to ticket, tow, or both.
“As the ice turns to slush before the impending storm tomorrow, please clear sidewalks and driveways to avoid a slick buildup,” Chief MacDonnell said. “Be aware of steep drops in temperature tonight and tomorrow morning, and limit your driving.”
Chief MacDonnell and the Winchester Police Department offer the following safety tips for residents during and after the snow falls:
- When shoveling snow or walking outside for more than a few minutes, dress appropriately, with exposed skin covered, and wear a hat and gloves.
- Ensure that your home or business sidewalks are properly shoveled, and place salt or ice melt to prevent people from falling.
- Help out the Winchester Fire Department by shoveling out your nearest fire hydrant.
- ALWAYS clear the tailpipe of a vehicle that is buried in snow BEFORE you start or warm up the vehicle. Failure to do so can be fatal for those inside the vehicle.
- Keep stocks of batteries on hand for radios and flashlights in case of a power outage.
- Never use your oven as a heat source
- Do not use space heaters while sleeping
- Keep space heaters at least 3 feet away from bedding or combustible materials.
For emergencies, dial 911 or contact the Winchester Police Department at 781-729-1212.
For snow removal issues please contact the Winchester Department of Public Works at 781-721-7100.