Chief Nathan Walker
3 Morgan Ave.
Newbury, MA 019510
For Immediate Release
Thursday, Nov. 17, 2016
Contact: John Guilfoil
Email: [email protected]
Newbury Fire Department Provides Holiday Cooking Safety Tips
NEWBURY — As residents gear up for the holidays, Chief Nathan Walker and the Newbury Fire Department urge residents to be vigilant when preparing meals for family and friends.
“We see more residential fires during this time of year than any other,” Chief Walker said. “Protect yourself and your home by always monitoring what you’re cooking and ensuring that your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors are working properly in the event of an emergency.”
According to the Massachusetts Department of Fire Services, cooking was the leading cause of residential fire injuries in 2015, resulting in four civilian deaths, 80 civilian injuries, 30 firefighter injuries and an estimated $10 million in property damage.
To avoid tragedy this season, Chief Walker recommends residents follow several safety tips outlined by the Massachusetts Department of Fire Services:
- Stay in the kitchen when boiling, frying, or broiling food.
- Use a timer when baking or roasting and never leave the house while the oven is on.
- Move anything that can catch fire — pot holders, towels, paper or plastic bags — away from your stove top.
- In the event that a fire occurs on a stove top, put a lid on the burner and turn off the heat. Keep doors closed and the appliance off if a fire happens in an oven, broiler or microwave. Never throw water or use a fire extinguisher on a grease fire. Water will only spread the fire and the force of the extinguisher can splash flaming grease out of the pan.
- If your clothing catches fire, STOP, DROP and ROLL to put out the flames. Run cool water on burns or call 911 if the injury is serious.
- If the fire is not quickly snuffed out, leave the house and call the fire department.
- Keep children 3 feet away from the stove to prevent burns.
- Make sure all smoke and carbon monoxide alarms are working prior to the holiday.
Additionally, the National Fire Protection Association discourages the use of turkey fryers, as the amount and high temperature of the oil used can cause serious burns and injuries, and result in the destruction of property.
Residents who would like more information on holiday cooking safety should contact the Newbury Fire Department at 978-462-2282.