Christopher LeClaire, Fire Chief
3 Greenleaf St.
Newburyport, MA 01950
For Immediate Release
Tuesday, Oct. 26, 2016
Contact: John Guilfoil
Email: [email protected]
Newburyport Fire Department Hosts Successful Training Drill
NEWBURYPORT — Chief Christopher LeClaire is pleased to announce that the Newburyport Fire Department hosted a successful multi-patient hospital drill conducted by the Northern Essex Regional Emergency Planning Committee (REPC) at Anna Jaques Hospital last week.
On Wednesday, Oct. 19, the Northern Essex REPC conducted the drill from 9 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. The training was intended to evaluate the region’s ability to respond to a chemical incident with multiple patients in need of decontamination, transport and treatment. It was also designed to test the hospital’s ability to handle a surge of patients.
Participants learned how to respond to and recognize a hazardous materials situation, identify particular chemicals involved, how to rescue, decontaminate and transport victims, and how to ensure that the hospital does not become contaminated with hazardous materials.
The following agencies participated in the training:
- The Northern Essex Regional Emergency Planning Committee
- Atlantic Ambulance
- Anna Jaques Hospital
- Newburyport Fire, Police and Health Departments
- Amesbury Fire, Police and Health Departments
- Boxford Fire, Police and Health Departments
- Georgetown Fire, Police and Health Departments
- Merrimac Fire, Police and Health Departments
- Newbury Fire, Police and Health Departments
- Rowley Fire, Police and Health Departments
- Salisbury Fire, Police and Health Departments
- West Newbury Fire, Police and Health Departments
- Ipswich Fire, Police and Health Departments
The drill began with a mock incident at Cataldo/Atlantic Ambulance on Boston Way and a decontamination system was set up outside of Anna Jaques Hospital to treat patients before they entered the hospital.
Six volunteers from Atlantic Ambulance and the Newburyport Fire Department acted as victims for the drill, which takes place at Anna Jaques Hospital every other year. This year, the drill was expanded to test the capabilities of the Northern Essex REPC.
“This drill took a lot of hard work and coordination to put together,” Chief LeClaire said. “I would like thank all of our partners for their cooperation and participation in making this drill a tremendous success for everyone involved.”