Chief Steve Yetman
21 Center St.
Burlington, MA 01803
For Immediate Release
Tuesday, July 12, 2016
Contact: John Guilfoil
Email: [email protected]
Burlington Fire Department Responds to Ammonia Leak Monday Evening
BURLINGTON — Fire Chief Steve Yetman reports that the Burlington Fire Department responded to an ammonia leak that required the assistance of a state hazardous materials team.
At 6:21 p.m. Monday, the Burlington Fire Department received a call for a possible chemical leak at the Burlington Ice Palace on Ray Avenue. Upon arrival, crews found people were already being evacuated from the Ice Palace the the fitness center in the building.
Firefighters assisted with the evacuation, leading employees and guests to a safe location.
An ammonia leak was quickly identified inside, as a refrigerant company was working on site. Due to the potential danger, the Burlington Fire Department activated the Massachusetts Hazardous Materials Response Team, which brought a multitude of resources to town for assistance.
Crews entered the building several times throughout the evening to monitor the situation, isolate the leak, and ventilate the building with fresh air.
Crews were on scene until 1:30 a.m. Tuesday when the situation was declared all clear. There were no injuries.
Chief Yetman praised the work of firefighters and hazmat technicians, especially Burlington Fire Lt. John Skinner, the incident commander.
“A quick and efficient response ensured that that the building was evacuated and the scene was rendered safe without harm coming to any civilians or first responders,” Chief Yetman said.