Fred A. Mitchell Jr., Fire Chief
47 Central Street
Georgetown, MA 01833
For Immediate Release
Thursday, April 28, 2016
Contact: Jessica Sacco
Email: [email protected]
Georgetown Dunkin’ Donuts Temporarily Closes Due to Smoke Conditions from Malfunctioning Toaster Oven
GEORGETOWN – Chief Fred Mitchell reports that the Georgetown Fire Department responded to Dunkin’ Donuts yesterday after a toaster oven malfunctioned and caused the business to temporarily close due to smoke conditions.
On Wednesday, April 27, the Fire Department received a 911 call at 9:15 a.m. regarding smoky conditions in Dunkin’ Donuts, 68 East Main St.
Occupants evacuated the building after an electrical transformer in a toaster oven malfunctioned, causing the appliance to spark and start smoking. Three employees were evaluated by Georgetown EMTs, but did not sustain any injuries.
Due to contaminated food and smoke conditions, the store closed, but reopened this morning after an inspection by the Georgetown Fire Department and the Georgetown Board of Health.
“Thankfully this was a minor issue and no major damage occurred,” Chief Mitchell said. “The business was able to clean up and quickly reopen.”