Town of Arlington
Department of Health and Human Services
Christine Bongiorno, Director
27 Maple St.
Arlington, MA 02476
For Immediate Release
Wednesday, March 30, 2016
Media Contact: John Guilfoil
Email: [email protected]
Contact: Christine Bongiorno
Email: [email protected]
Arlington Patriots’ Day Parade to Return in 2016
ARLINGTON — The Town of Arlington is pleased to announce that the town will host the 2016 Arlington Patriots’ Day Parade next month.
- 8:45 a.m. Arlington Boys and Girls Club Fun Run
- 12 p.m. Menotomy Battle Re-enactment
- 2 p.m. Parade Kick-off
- Arlington Boys and Girls Club Fun Run will start on Massachusetts Avenue at the Lexington town line (At Berman’s parking lot, across from Sylvia Street)
- Menotomy Battle Re-enactment will take place at the Jason Russell House (7 Jason St., at the corner of Jason Street and Massachusetts Avenue)
- Parade route runs from Brattle Square (Massachusetts Avenue and Brattle Street) to East Arlington (Linwood Street and Massachusetts Avenue)
- A “quiet zone” for children and families will be located from Mill Street to the Robbins Library.
The Arlington Patriots’ Day Parade is the town’s longest-standing celebration. Due to an outpouring of support from community donors and business sponsors, the town has met their fundraising goal to reinstate the parade after last year’s hiatus.
“We are so pleased and thankful for the overwhelming amount of support from donors and sponsors for this year’s parade,” said Board of Selectmen, Chair, Kevin Greeley. “This outpouring of support allows us to renew a great town tradition.”
“All are invited to what is shaping up to be a wonderful event, with attractions for all ages”, said Greeley. “Please join us this Patriots’ Day to commemorate our history and celebrate our wonderful community.”
The town will use #ArlPats2016 as a tag for all social media surrounding the parade and ask the public to participate in the celebration by doing the same.
The late Ken Simmons will be honored as this year’s Grand Marshal. His family will serve in his place during the parade.
The Honorary Grand Marshal will be Officer Michael Hogan. The parade committee received a number of nominations for Officer Hogan during the community nomination process.
New bands added to this year’s line up include: Somerville-based Dirty Water Brass Band, Greater Boston Firefighters Pipes and Drums, Irish American Police Officers Association Pipe and Drum Band, and Arlington’s own New Magnolia Jazz Band.
Many community groups will be marching in the parade, including:
- Arlington Boys and Girls Club
- Arlington Police and Fire Department
- Arlington Overcoming Addiction
- Arlington Dog Owners Group
- Arlington Tourism and Economic Development
- Arlington Pop Warner Cheerleaders and Football
- Menotomy Battle Re-enactment Minutemen
- Food Link
- Council on Aging
- Arlington Recreation and Rink
- Robbins Library
- Youth Sports Teams
- Boy and Girl Scout Troops
and many more!
This year’s parade is made possible due to the generosity of the following sponsors:
- Diamond Level: Armstrong Ambulance
- Platinum Level: Leader Bank, John’s Landscape Service
- Gold Level: Bowes Real Estate, Belmont Orthodontics, Knights of Columbus and “In Loving Memory of Joan Caterino”
- Silver Level: American Legion Post 39, Black Diamond Landscaping, Cambridge Savings Bank, Dan Dunn, JVT Realty, Keefe Funeral Homes, Michael Fitzpatrick DMD, Rogers Funeral Home, Watertown Savings Bank