Robert B. Lay, Fire Chief
Public Safety Building
181 Main St
Groveland, MA 01834
For Immediate Release
Monday, Feb. 1, 2016
Contact: John Guilfoil
Email: [email protected]
Audio: Groveland Fire Department Extinguishes Garage Fire on King Street
GROVELAND — Chief Robert Lay reports that the Groveland Fire Department extinguished a fire in a detached garage at a residence over the weekend.
The fire department received a 911 call at approximately 2:30 a.m. on Sunday, Jan. 31, for a report of smoke in the garage of a King Street home. Groveland Engine 1, Engine 2 and Ladder 1 responded within minutes along with Georgetown Ladder 1, and were able to quickly knock down the fire.
Due to the prompt 911 call from the resident and quick response from Groveland Fire, damage was limited to the detached structure.
Firefighters determined that the fire was caused by the improper disposal of rags that were soaked in oil and painting chemicals, which spontaneously combusted.
Chief Lay encourages residents to always carefully read the label of chemicals and follow the manufacturer’s recommendation for proper storage and disposal to prevent spontaneous combustion.
“Thanks to the immediate response and mutual aid in this incident, the fire was put out before it could spread,” Chief Lay said. “Unfortunately, improper disposal of combustible items is a fairly common cause of fires. Please make sure you are properly storing and disposing of these chemicals to avoid an easily preventable and dangerous situation.”
The West Newbury and Boxford Fire Departments provided station coverage during the incident.