David Grunes, Fire Chief
55 The Great Road
Bedford, MA 01730
For Immediate Release
Friday, Jan. 22, 2016
Contact: John Guilfoil
Email: [email protected]
Bedford Fire Department Announces 2016 Outdoor Burning Season
BEDFORD — Chief David Grunes and the Bedford Fire Department report that the state-regulated outdoor burning season began on Friday, Jan. 15 and will run through May 1.
A written burning permit must be obtained from the Bedford Fire Department prior to burning. The permit is available from the administration side of the fire station located at 55 The Great Road. Burning permits can be obtained Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Once you have obtained this written permit you MUST call 781-275-7262 x161 each day that you want to burn to find out if outdoor burning is allowed for that day and give your permit number and your address.
Permits may also be obtained through the department website at bedfordma.gov/fire-department. If you have obtained a burning permit in the past, your permit number will remain the same. Please call the fire station with any questions, 781-275-7262 x100.
The following is an overview of the regulations.
- A permit will be required for permission to burn.
- Burning will be allowed from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. ALL FIRES MUST BE EXTINGUISHED BY 4 p.m.
- Burning must be at least 75 feet from all dwelling units.
- No starters, such as gasoline or tires, may be used.
- No hay, grass, leaves, whole trees, stumps, carpentry debris, building debris, paper or rubbish may be burned at any time.
- Burning must be conducted without causing a hardship or nuisance to others.
- A means of extinguishing the fire must be available at all times, and the fire must never be left unattended.
- No burning may begin after 2 p.m. on any given day.
For a full set of applicable rules please see the department website at bedfordma.gov/fire-department.