Paul Januszewski, Fire Chief
North Haven, CT 06473
For Immediate Release
Monday, Dec. 21, 2015
Contact: John Guilfoil
Email: [email protected]
North Haven Fire Department Provides Holiday Safety Tips to Residents
NORTH HAVEN – As friends and families gather to celebrate the holidays this week, Chief Paul Januszewski and the North Haven Fire Department are reminding residents to be aware of holiday and decorating safety tips to ensure a joyous and fire-safe season this year.
“There is an increased risk for fires during the holidays as folks gather to cook, decorate and celebrate,” Chief Januszewski said. “We encourage all of our residents to review the safety tips we have provided in order to ensure everyone can safely enjoy their holiday season this year.”
According to the National Fire Protection Association, two of every five home decoration fires are started by candles and nearly half of decoration fires happen because decorations are placed too close to a heat source.
In order to keep your home safe from fire during the holiday season this year, Chief Januszewski recommends residents consider the following safety tips outlined by the Connecticut Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection, Commission on Fire Prevention and Control:
- Water fresh Christmas trees daily, and keep them away from heaters, fireplaces and candles.
- Turn off holiday lights when you leave the house or go to bed.
- Check all lights for broken insulation or frayed wires.
- Always blow out candles before leaving a room or going to sleep. Be sure to burn candles inside a one-foot “circle of safety”, free of anything that can catch fire.
- Keep space heaters at least three feet away from anything that can burn like curtains, upholstery or holiday decorations.
- Develop and practice a home fire escape plan with at least two ways out and a meeting place outdoors. In the event of a fire, get out and stay out of the house and call 911.
- Make sure all smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms are working.
- Use caution with extension cords. Don’t overload them and never put cords underneath rugs, as this can damage the cord and cause an electrical fire.
- Always used a screen for fireplaces to prevent sparks or embers from coming into a room. Properly dispose of ashes in a covered metal container at least 10 feet away from your home.
For more information on holiday safety tips, visit the Connecticut Department of Emergency Services and Public Protection website or contact the North Haven Fire Department at 203-239-5321.