Peter Lombardi, Town Administrator
138 Main Street
Wenham, MA 01984
Wenham Police Department
Thomas Perkins, Chief of Police
1 Friend Court
PO Box 536
Wenham, MA 01984
For Immediate Release
Tuesday, Dec. 8, 2015
Contact: John Guilfoil
Email: [email protected]
Wenham Police Advise Residents to Be Cautious When Scheduling Online Deliveries During the Holidays
WENHAM — As residents head online to complete their holiday shopping, Chief Thomas Perkins and the Wenham Police Department remind the community to take precaution when scheduling deliveries to prevent doorstop theft.
“We don’t want to see anyone lose their holiday gifts due to unattended packages snagged by thieves,” Chief Perkins said. “This time of year, items are especially at risk of being taken given the high volume of deliveries occurring. Consider sending online orders to your work or another secure location where someone will be available to retrieve the item once it’s delivered.”
- Requesting a signature on your deliveries, especially those of high value, so they are not left unattended. You can also give specific instructions on where to leave a package so it is not left in a visible spot.
- Signing up for an email alert that will notify you when your delivery is set to arrive.
- Choosing an alternative destination — either at work or at a family member’s, friend’s or neighbor’s house where someone will be home to receive the delivery.
- Re-directing packages, even if they’re already on their way. Send them to your closest FedEx or UPS office, or another secure location.
- Setting up a vacation hold if you’ll be away during the holidays so gifts will not be delivered to an empty house.
If you arrive home to find that your package has been stolen, immediately call the Wenham Police Department at 978-468-4000. Unfortunately, if the item was not insured, the chances of receiving it back are slim.
Residents should NEVER accept a surprise package or gift where a payment is required. Additionally, do not give out any personal information when retrieving a delivery if you initiated the purchase.