David Grunes, Fire Chief
55 The Great Road
Bedford, MA 01730
For Immediate Release
Tuesday, Nov. 24, 2015
Contact: John Guilfoil
Email: [email protected]
Bedford Fire Department Provides Holiday Cooking Safety Tips
BEDFORD — With Thanksgiving right around the corner, Chief David Grunes and the Bedford Fire Department ask that residents remember to use caution while preparing their holiday meals this year.
“We would hate to see anyone get injured while cooking during Thanksgiving,” Chief Grunes said. “Do not hesitate calling the fire department if there is an issue that gets out of hand. Always put safety first.”
According to the Massachusetts Department of Fire Services, cooking was the leading cause of residential fire injuries in 2014, resulting in two civilian deaths, 83 civilian injuries, 22 firefighter injuries and an estimated $11.8 million in property damage. To avoid tragedy this season, Chief Grunes recommends residents follow several safety tips outlined by State Fire Marshal Stephen Coan:
- Stay in the kitchen when boiling, frying, or broiling food.
- Use a timer when baking or roasting and never leave the house while the oven is on.
- Move anything that can catch fire — pot holders, towels, paper or plastic bags — away from your stove top.
- In the event that a fire occurs on a stove-top, put a lid on the burner and turn off the heat. Keep doors closed and the appliance off if a fire happens in an oven, broiler or microwave. Never throw water or use a fire extinguisher on a grease fire. Water will only spread the fire and the force of the extinguisher can splash flaming grease out of the pan.
- If your clothing catches fire, STOP, DROP and ROLL to put out the flames. Run cool water on burns or call 911 if the injury is serious.
- If the fire is not quickly snuffed out, leave the house and call the fire department.
- Keep children 3 feet away from the stove to prevent burns.
- Make sure all smoke and carbon monoxide alarms are working prior to the holiday.
The National Fire Protection Association discourages the use of turkey fryers, as they can lead to devastating burns, injuries and the destruction of property due to the large amount and high temperature of oil used.
For more information or questions contact the Bedford Fire Department at 781-275-7262