Maynard Fire Receives $168,000 Assistance to Firefighters Grant

Maynard Fire Department

Anthony Stowers, Fire Chief, EFO/CFO
1 Summer St.
Maynard, MA 01754

For Immediate Release

Monday, Aug. 10, 2015

Contact: John Guilfoil
Phone: 978-841-9948
Email: [email protected]

Maynard Fire Receives Assistance to Firefighters Grant

Grant will Fund New Breathing Apparatus

MAYNARD — Chief Anthony Stowers is pleased to announce that Maynard Fire Department received more than $168,000 in the form of an Assistance to Firefighters Grant from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).

The money will be used to purchase up-to-date self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA). This new equipment will replace the department’s entire cache of aging units with the latest version of National Fire Protection Association compliant devices.

FEMA will fund 95 percent of the cost of the endeavor, totaling over $168,000, with the Town of Maynard contributing the remaining 5 percent.

“This grant allows us to ensure our firefighters are protected with the best possible protective equipment as they work to serve the community,” Chief Stowers said. “We are excited to move forward with updating our apparatus and are grateful to FEMA for the contribution.”

The goal of the Assistance to Firefighters Grants is to meet the needs of fire departments and non-affiliated emergency medical service organizations. Since 2001, the grants have helped firefighters and other first responders obtain critically needed equipment, gear, emergency vehicles, training and other resources needed to protect the public and emergency personnel from fire and related hazards.

###