Albert B Beardsley, Fire Chief
47 Central Street
Georgetown, MA 01833
For Immediate Release
Thursday, March 19, 2015
Contact: John Guilfoil
Email: [email protected]
Georgetown Fire Department Responds to Chimney Fire Late Wednesday Evening
GEORGETOWN – Chief Albert Beardsley reports that the Georgetown Fire Department late last evening responded to a chimney fire on North Street, making an aggressive attack to prevent severe damage to the home.
Georgetown firefighters responded just before 10 p.m. and arrived minutes later.
Engine 1 Officer Dave Adam arrived first on scene and observed flames shooting from the top of the chimney and smoke coming from the eves of the home’s 1 1/2 story addition.
The cause was quickly determined to be from debris packed up and down the chimney liner. Crews used a dry chemical extinguisher inside the house to extinguish the flaming material, rather than water. Water would likely have caused the hot brick and mortar to expand, potentially damaging the chimney. Crews operating on the roof of the house moved a heavy chain up and down the inside of the chimney in an effort to dislodge burning material. The firefighters were successful, and the fire was put out without any further or permanent damage to the home.
“There was a great deal of ash and other debris clogging the chimney,” Chief Beardsley said. “This fire is a perfect example of why homeowners should have a trained and licensed contractor come in at last once per year to check the chimney liner and clean it from top to bottom.”
Throughout operations, Captain Mike Bridges used a thermal imaging camera to monitor for fire extension into the attic or other parts of the house, due to multiple cracks the crew found in the chimney’s ceramic liner.
Georgetown was assisted with an engine company from Groveland for coverage. Fire crews cleared the scene at 11 p.m. No injuries were reported.