Albert B Beardsley, Fire Chief
47 Central Street
Georgetown, MA 01833
For Immediate Release
Sunday, March 8, 2015
Contact: John Guilfoil
Email: [email protected]
Georgetown Fire Department Responds to Close Call After Gas Heating System Malfunctions
GEORGETOWN — Chief Albert B Beardsley reports that the Georgetown Fire Department yesterday responded to an apartment on Central Street with heavy smoke showing upon arrival.
Fortunately, the cause of the smoke was quickly determined to be a faulty gas-fired heating system.
Georgetown Firefighters responded at 5 a.m. on Saturday, March 7 after a resident called 911 to report the smoke condition in their home. Firefighters were on scene within four minutes.
Deputy Fire Chief Russ Moyer, arrived on scene and made sure that all residents were accounted for outside. A First Alarm fire assignment was dispatched when the smoke was sighted, bringing in station coverage from West Newbury and Groveland and a Rapid Intervention Engine from Rowley, for firefighter safety.
Crews investigated the first floor and basement and quickly shut down two gas burners inside. As soon as the gas burners were shut, the smoke dissipated. No fire was present, however the working smoke alarms present in the house likely saved the lives of the residents, as toxic smoke had filled the house.
“This was a clear case of working smoke alarms on all floors of this two-family house saving lives as smoke filled the home early in the morning,” Chief Beardsley said.
The occupants on the first floor were asleep when awaken by the smoke detector sounding. One male resident reporting he had to get down low to floor to escape because smoke was down to about two feet from the floor.
“Had the smoke alarms not functioned as intended to do so, we could have had a very, very serious incident at this location,” Deputy Moyer said.
National Grid was called to the scene and the Red Cross was called to assist the residents. Fire crews cleared the scene at 6:30.